A Better Learning Experience
Everything You Need to Get Certified
Food manager certification is recommended for anyone who supervises staff that handles food in any capacity. To become a certified food manager, you must pass a food manager certification exam. This exam is the best option for experienced food industry workers who have already completed food manager training or have on-the-job experience managing food employees.
You can complete your exam online or schedule an in-person session at a testing center near you. Food manager training, which may be required in some locations, is not included. Check with your local health department for more information on certification requirements.
Exam Proctor Options
Important: All food manager exams must be monitored by a StateFoodSafety-approved proctor. help
Monitored at a local testing center.
Monitored via webcam & microphone.
Employer or Health Department Proctored
Monitored by an approved StateFoodSafety proctor.
Taking the Exam in a Testing Center
With this proctoring option, you will take the exam at a PSI testing center. Before you continue, please read the terms below.
- Check Location: We recommend that you check if there's a testing center near you by entering your zip code and clicking Check Location below.
- Schedule the Exam: After you purchase, you can schedule* your exam in your StateFoodSafety account.
- Arrive 15 Minutes Early: On the day of your exam, go to the testing center at least 15 minutes before your scheduled time.
- Bring Photo ID: Bring a government-issued photo ID with you to the testing center.
*Please be aware that you may be charged fees for rescheduling or cancelling a session. For more details, see PSI's FAQ
*Locations may be checked in the dashboard and if no location is available in your area, you may reach out for a full refund within 30 days.
Optional: Check for a Testing Center Near you
We recommend that you check for your nearest testing center before selecting this proctoring option.
No locations found
Taking the Exam Online with a Remote Proctor
Online proctoring is a great option to take your Food Protection Manager Certification Exam from the comfort of your own home or office.
To participate in online proctoring, you must:
- Have a webcam and microphone attached to your computer
- Have a private room to take the exam in
- Have a current, government-issued ID
For more information, watch our online proctoring requirements video or download our Exam Procedures PDF.
- For PC Users: Windows 10 (64-bit only) or Windows 11 (64-bit only). Not supported: Windows in S-mode or Windows Enterprise.
- For Mac Users: MacOS Ventura (13.x), Monterey (12.x), or Big Sur (11.x)
- Ubuntu 18.04, 20.04 or 22.04
- Screen resolution: 1024x768 or higher
- Bandwidth: 750kbps or higher (download and upload speed)
- Chromebooks, phones, virtual machines and tablets are currently not compatible with online proctoring
Phones and tablets are currently not compatible with online proctoring.
Use this System Test to see if all requirements are met.
Note: You'll be able to schedule the exam after purchase. If you miss your scheduled appointment time, you will be asked to pay the proctor fee again in order to reschedule.
For more detailed information about online proctoring, download our Exam Procedures Document.
Employer or Health Department Proctored Exam
How It Works
You have selected Employer or Health Department Proctored as your proctoring option. This means your exam will need to be monitored either by your employer or by your local health department.
Please be aware that StateFoodSafety cannot guarantee that your employer has an in-house proctoring service or that your local health department provides proctors. To find out if your employer or health department offers this service, talk to your supervisor or contact your local health department before completing your purchase.
Note that some proctors charge an additional fee.
How to Schedule an Employer or Health Department Proctored Exam
If you are using your employer's in-house proctoring service, talk to your supervisor to schedule your exam.
If you are using a health department service, you will register for your exam in your StateFoodSafety account. After completing your purchase, log into your account and go to the My Courses tab. Click the Start button next to the exam to schedule it.
What's Included in Exam
The best option if you don't need to brush up on your food manager training and only need the certification exam.
ANAB Accredited (Nationally Approved)
75 Questions (2-Hour Time Limit)
750/1000 Points to Pass
|Exam Content Description||Percent of Exam|
|Preventing Food Contamination||35%|
|Food Worker Health and Hygiene||23%|
|Equipment and Utensils||15%|
|Regulatory Compliance and Records||8%|
How To Get Certified
- Select a course that includes the StateFoodSafety Food Protection Manager Certification Exam.
- Select an exam session with a proctor. You can do this during the registration process or any time after.
- Purchase course and finish registration process.
- Prepare for the exam with the StateFoodSafety Food Safety Manager Training and Course Assessment.
- Take the Food Protection Manager Certification Exam at your scheduled proctored session. Don't forget your photo ID! *
- Print your Food Safety Manager Certificate from your account at statefoodsafety.com ** This certificate is good for 5 year(s).
The exam is closed book. You will be responsible for adhering to the Examinee Code of Ethics and all rules explained by the proctor.
*Must be a valid government-issued photo ID.
**Must pass the Food Protection Manager Certification Exam to receive a certificate.
Prepare for the Food Protection Manager Certification Exam with the following:
- Food Safety Manager Training
- Food Safety Manager Practice Test
- 1-2 Years of Food Service Experience
- FDA Food Code 2017
- Guidance for Industry: Retail Food Stores and Food Service Establishments: Food Security Preventive Measures Guidance
- Avoiding Cross-Contact
- Proper Thermometer Placement
- Voluntary Guidelines for Managing Food Allergies in Schools and Early Care and Education Programs
- Pest Management Guidelines for Retail Food Handling Facilities and Restaurants
Louisiana Food Protection Manager Certification Exam FAQs
Do I need this exam?
Is StateFoodSafety Food Protection Manager Certification Exam equivalent to other Food Safety Manager Exams?
Are different StateFoodSafety certification exam forms equivalent to each other?
How do I become a Certified Food Protection Manager?
How long will it take to get certified?
Exam: 2-hour time limit*
*Many examinees complete the exam in 60 minutes or less.
What is a passing score for the StateFoodSafety Food Protection Manager Certification Exam?
What is Scaled Scoring?
How long is my StateFoodSafety Food Protection Manager Certification good for?
How long can I access the Exam?
In most areas, you can reprint your required Food Manager Certificate by logging in to your account.
- Find the Certificates window on your dashboard.
- Locate the digital version of your certificate and click View Certificate.
- Select Print or Email.
Note: In some areas, you get your official Food Manager Certificate from the local health department. If you have lost the card you received from your state, county, or local health department, you will need to call that health department to obtain a new card, permit, or certificate.
Empower Employees Through Food Safety Training A physical hazard is any item in food that can choke, gag, or injure a customer. Food workers need to know when to remove naturally occurring physical hazards during food preparation. They also need to know how to prevent other physical hazards from contaminating food. Learning Objectives You may […]
Empower Employees Through Food Safety Training Equipment can contaminate food if it’s not kept clean, sanitized, and in good repair. Teach your employees how to use equipment correctly and keep it in good condition to prevent foodborne illness. Learning Objectives You may choose to read these learning objectives with your employees as a part of […]
Empower Employees Through Food Safety Training Some food, known as Time/temperature Control for Safety (TCS) food, is more susceptible to bacterial growth. To keep TCS food safe, you must actively control their temperature. Learning Objectives You may choose to read these learning objectives with your employees as a part of the stand-up training. After this […]